22, April 2019
By Our Reporter
The high-level delegation of investigative detectives made up of both National and County Government officials, visited the Private run Shalom Hospital in Athi River.
They have found alarming abuse of procedures, Jua Kali operations and wanting treatment of patients at the facility.
This is totally unacceptable and will not be allowed in Machakos County under my leadership the Governor Dr. Mutua has said
The value of human life, proper and respectful treatment of the sick is paramount and an indicator of civilization, I am very disappointed by what has been going on at the Private facility, Mutua added.
After a seven hours investigation, the following decisions have been made as follows,
John Ndege, Casualty nurse: Withdrawal of nursing license for 3 months. To undergo retraining at KNH
Edna Nyarangi, not registered as a nurse by the nursing council. Considered a quack, To be prosecuted. She has been arrested.
Thomas Ndolo, Hospital administrator – hiring of quarks and contravening the law and procedures. He has also been arrested.
Samuel Ongoya : Reprimanded
Kelvin Samita : Mentorship at Machakos level 5 for 1 month.
Dr. Mutembei Itunga: Reprimanded for failure to institute infection control measures.
The institution (Shalom hospital Athi river,
A.Guilty of Employing unlicensed personnel, b. Lack of appropriate standard operating procedures and failure to enforce available ones, C. Lack of staff orientation leading to worse outcomes, D. Inappropriate deployment of health personnel.
E. Lack of supervision within the institution.
F. Accidents and emergency unit don’t meet the minimum criteria.
1. Shalom Hospital Reprimanded
2. Joint clinical audit to start the tomorrow at 9 am on staffing and Standard Operating Procedures.
3. The investigative team to make a final verdict based on the audit findings within 1 month.
4. MACHAKOS GOVERNMENT TO REVIEW THE AUDIT REPORT AFTER ONE MONTH WITH THE VIEW OF CANCELLING THE OPERATING BUSINESS AND HEALTH PROVISION LICENSES OF ALL SHALOM HOSPITALS IN THE COUNTY IF NO IMPROVEMENT IS SEEN.
5. INVITATION OF THE DIRECTORATE OF CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS (DCI)
to conduct further investigations, with the possibility of CHARGING the Directors/Owners of Shalom hospital with Criminal Negligence and other crimes.
Healthcare is a fundamental right. Money should NOT take precedence over respect for human life.
You either do things well in Machakos County or you ship out the Governor has said.